The Ultimate Low Carb Food List To Get In Ketosis Asap
There are literally thousands of low carb foods youll get to try on your keto journey.
So even though we cant list them all here, youll find the net carbs per serving size for over 100 foods organized by food group on this low carb food list printable.
Lets begin with the biggest macro on keto: fat.
Complete Keto Diet Food List: What You Can And Cannot Eat If You’re On A Ketogenic Diet
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, moderate-protein and very-low-carbohydrate diet. Carbohydrates are the body’s preferred source of energy, but on a strict ketogenic diet, less than 5% of energy intake is from carbohydrates . The reduction of carbohydrates puts the body into a metabolic state called ketosis. Ketosis is when the body starts breaking down stored fat into molecules called ketone bodies to use for energy, in the absence of circulating blood sugar from food. Once the body reaches ketosis, most cells will use ketone bodies to generate energy until you start eating carbohydrates again.
Traditionally, the ketogenic diet was only used in clinical settings to reduce seizures in children with epilepsy. “Now there is a lot of interest in the diet’s effectiveness in helping with other neurological conditions, cancer, diabetes, PCOS , obesity, high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease,” says Emily Stone, M.S., RD. People also eat keto to lose weight .
Even if you know that you need to eat a very-low-carb, high-fat, moderate-protein diet, it can be confusing to know which foods to eat. Here’s our guide to foods you can eat, foods you should avoid and foods you can sometimes have when you’re following a ketogenic diet.
Get The Keto Food List Pdf Here
Otherwise, you can come back to this page anytime to see the keto food list online. The nice thing about this website version is that its searchable and sortable. And of course, its mobile device friendly, too. Yay!
You can use this low carb food list whether you are keto or low carb. It applies to both. If you are following stricter keto, you can skip some of the items having higher carb counts. Enjoy!
You May Like: How Many Carbs In Pepperoni Pizza
Would You Find A Printable Keto Food List Helpful
Are you trying the ketogenic diet too?
- Note this printable list isnt a completely comprehensive list of keto foods, refer to the book above for everything. It is just a basic list of better choices to grab to help you shop .
I will admit that he isnt strict strict yet as far as cutting out all the foods on the no no list, but choosing certain foods over others and understanding the philosophy behind it all takes some time.
- Free resources do help.thats why we created this and a list of low carb pressure cookers below too in order to help.
- You can print this Keto shopping list for free here and keep in handy in your purse or wallet so when youre at the store youll know the best ketogenic diet foods and which ones are a no no.
- Here are a bunch of yummy low carb lunches to enjoy too.
First Of All What Are The Basic Rules Of The Keto Diet And How Do You Get Started
While everyone’s body and needs are slightly different, the traditional keto diet typically follows this formula:
- 60 to 75 percent of your calories come from fat
- 15 to 30 percent of your calories come from protein
- 5 to 10 percent of your calories come from carbs
That usually means eating no more than 50 grams of carbs a day , though there are some more flexible versions of the keto diet. After about two to seven days of following the keto diet, you go into ketosis, or the state your body enters when it doesn’t have enough carbs for your cells to use for energy. That’s when you start making ketones, or organic compounds that your bod then uses in place of those missing carbs. At this point, your body also starts burning fat for more energy, leading to weight loss.
If you’re not sure what to eat to get started on the keto diet, you can find plenty of yummy recipes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner here. Once you get familiar with eating low-carb, you’ll be able to whip up your own meals that fit into the keto diet .
Read Also: Low Carb Low Sugar Alcohol Drinks
Keto Trail Mix Ingredients
Weve got a mix of sweet and salty ingredients in this healthy low carb trail mix recipe:
- ChocoZero Sugar-Free White Chocolate Chips I happen to LOVE the sweetness in white chocolate chips and these are the best.
- ChocZero Sugar-Free Dark Chocolate Chips All the rich, dark chocolate flavor you would expect, without the carbs.
- Nuts I used a mix of macadamia nuts, almonds, and pecans. You can use raw or roasted.
- Seeds I used pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, but sunflower seeds will work as well.
- Puffed cheese You can use any variety, I did cheddar. If you dont have any or cant find it, you can make homemade puffed cheese as a substitute.
- Unsweetened coconut chips Many coconut chips are sweetened, so make sure you look for ones that arent.
- Unsweetened dried blueberries Make sure these are unsweetened, as most dried fruits are sweetened with sugar. If you cant find dried blueberries without sugar added, homemade dried cranberries would also be an excellent alternative.
What Food Can You Eat On Keto
- Its complete with dinner ideas and ketogenic snacks too which are a must!
You May Like: How Many Calories Are Grapes
Do I Buy Every Item On A Keto Shopping List
No, you wont need every single item on a keto grocery list at any time. Instead, a list is simply a guideline to help you to make the best food choices while you are shopping for keto foods. You dont need to stock every single kind of nut butter, oils, sweeteners, etc. Pick the ones that you like the most, and stock those as needed. Then, you can build your keto pantry over time.
What Can I Not Eat On The Keto Diet
Eating keto means staying away from high-carb snacks and foods. Your diet will consist of five to 10 percent carbohydrates, which is 15 to 30 grams per day. Its not a lot to work with, considering one serving of almonds is six grams of carbohydrates. Its a good idea to spread out your consumption throughout the day. This can help you meet your nutrient requirements with each meal.
Sweets and high-carb snacks are never a good idea on a nutrition plan of any kind because they contain high amounts of trans fats that can potentially lead to weight gain, raised blood sugar and bad cholesterol levels.
To see progress in weight loss, it takes time and dedication. While there are some food restrictions, the benefit of eating on the keto diet is that there are substitutes for most of yourfavoriteindulgences.
Recommended Reading: Recipes For Low Carb Soups
What Are Zero Carbohydrate Foods
Zero carbohydrate foods can lower blood sugar, manage blood pressure levels improve good cholesterol. It also can be an effective diet for weight loss, which is another way to keep your diabetes in check. Here are a few foods with zero carbs or low carbs you can include as part of your diet:
So What Items Should I Take Off My Grocery List
There are a few aisles you can skip if you’re committing to keto. Here are the non-keto-friendly items you will no longer need to stock your fridge and pantry with.
- Pasta and other grains. When you’re cutting carbs on keto, pasta, rice, and noodles have to be the first to go . Your local grocery store might have a special health foods section where you can find low-carb or gluten-free pastas and noodles, though.
- Starchy veggies. Potatoes are off limits, and so are other starchy, high-carb vegetables like carrots, believe it or not. Colorful, leafy greens are going to be key staples to add to your basket or cart. Specifically, these starchy veggies you should nix include:
- Corn : 123.3 g total carbs, 111.2 g net carbs
- Green peas : 21 g total carbs, 12.5 g net carbs
- Beets : 13 g total carbs, 9.1 g net carbs
- Sweet potatoes : 23.6 g total carbs, 19.8 g net carbs
- Butternut squash : 12.6 g total carbs, 8.7 g net carbs
Don’t Miss: Low Calorie Low Carb Recipe
In A Nutshell The Low Carb Keto Diet Food List Has:
- Healthy fats , animal fat
- Leafy Greens Cruciferous Vegetables Green vegetables Fresh Herbs for cooking
- Low-Carb Veggies
- Fat-based Fruit avocado
- Drinks LOTS of water coffee & tea in moderation, bone broth.
It doesnt sound restrictive at all and it actually gives you a lot of great ideas for salads, grilled dinner skewers, delicious quick salad dinners, and easy crockpot meals you can do even on a budget.
Alternatively, for super busy times when you are unable to go shopping for low carb foods, consider getting these organic and delicious Keto meal replacements that can boost your metabolism and will help to continue losing weight.
These low carb meal replacements are especially helpful for people who have to go frequently on business trips.
But thats not all on a keto diet, there are foods that you can use sparingly to add to your main meal prepping ideas or to break the monotony of a boring routine. For example, dairy products should be limited due to the fact that they contain natural sugars.
It is important to add to your keto diet cultured dairy kefir, yogurt, skyr , sour cream, hard cheeses. As your taste buds adjust to foods without refined sugar, plain yogurt topped with fresh berries can make a delicious snack or dessert!
Why Is It Important To Know A Carb Chart For Foods
As you may have seen daily, on the food you bought from the store there are ingredient labels and nutrition charts written on it. It plays an important part in guiding your way to count the amount of carbohydrates, sugar, and sort of things in your body. By consciously paying regards to these facts, it gains another awareness of how your body should be taken care of. It is important to know the carb chart for foods since carbohydrates play an important part for us. It helps us produce energy through variants of foods as the main source of body energy. By noticing each range of the carb you take from the chart for foods, you can maintain a balance and healthier path for your body.
Also Check: What Should My Daily Calorie Intake Be
% Of Your Diet: Healthy Fats And Non
- Veggies: leafy greens, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, bok choy, zucchini, bell peppers, white mushrooms
- Healthy fats: flaxseed oil, MCT oil, coconut oil, olives, olive oil, organ meats, tallow, omega3 egg yolks, nut butter, avocado oil, almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts
- Animal fats: fish , organ meats , lamb, shellfish , ghee
- Nuts and seeds: sugar-free nut and seed butter , pecans, cashews, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, brazil nuts
- Other: 100% dark organic cocoa powder or chocolate, spirulina, almond flour, mineral water, tea or coffee , unsweetened nut milk
How To Make A Keto Diet Grocery List
As all this information may feel overwhelming if you are just starting on a keto diet or have been struggling to stay on a low carb plan, we have made a simple KETO DIET FOOD LIST that you can download and print to help you navigate it with ease and confidence. Make a mental note to always check the labels, even if it is your favorite bacon you have been buying for years. You may be surprised that it has added sugar who would have known!
You May Like: Low Carb Vegan Meal Plan
Ultimate Low Carb Keto Foods List Guide
This list of keto foods is here to prove that eating low carb can be DELICIOUS and flavor-packed!
I know, I know. Making the switch can feel overwhelming and, frankly, like a total bummer at first. But it doesnt have to be
Youve got mother natures finest foods on your side: from vegetables to meats and cheeses, even some fruits make the cut!
So whether youre just starting a low carb diet, or youre a seasoned low carb recipes veteran looking for more resources, heres everything you need to know about low carb foods!
Low Carb Nuts And Seeds:
- Almonds 1.4 grams
- Peanuts 1.8 grams
- Hazelnuts 1.2 gram
- Macadamia Nuts -.9 grams
- Pecans .6 grams
- Pine Nuts 1.7 grams
- Pistachio Nuts 3.1 grams
- Walnuts .9 gramsPumpkin Seeds 5 grams per ounce
- Sunflower Seeds 4 grams per ounce
- Almond Butter 3 grams per tablespoon
- Peanut Butter 2.4 grams per tablespoon
Know someone that would love this Low Carb Food List Printable? Share it with a friend! Be Sure to pin it and tweet it using the share buttons!
You May Like: Calories Per Pound Of Fat
How Much Fat Do You Need On The Keto Diet
On the keto diet, youll be eating a small amount of protein and very few carbs.
That leaves the rest of your micronutrient consumption to fats anywhere between 60-75%.
There are four different types of keto diets you can follow. Each version is high fat and low carb but with different macronutrient ratios.
For example, the Standard Ketogenic Diet is the most popular version of the keto diet and the one were referring to throughout this article.
The SKD recommends:
The second type is the High Protein Keto Diet, which is geared mostly towards extremely active people or athletes.
This version of the keto diet recommends:
If your reason for following the keto diet is to lose weight, you typically wont eat more than 20-25 grams of carbs per day.
To put that into perspective, a medium-sized banana is around 23 grams of net carbs so even eating bananas in moderation would almost be enough to prevent the average person from entering ketosis.
People who are extremely active are the exception, as they require more fuel.
As you can see, the macronutrient ratios of your keto meals can vary depending on your personal needs.
However, your fat ratio must always be significantly higher than carbs and proteins.
The keto calculator can give you a general sense of how much fat you should be eating, although your individual nutrient requirements may vary.
Nuts Seeds And Healthy Oils
Nuts and seeds are full of healthy polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, fiber and protein. They also are very low in net carbs. Olive oil and coconut oil are the two oils recommended on the keto diet. Olive oil is high in oleic acid and is associated with a lower risk of heart disease. Coconut oil is high in saturated fat but contains medium-chain triglycerides , which can increase ketone production. MCTs may increase metabolic rate and promote the loss of weight and belly fat too. Measure portion sizes when consuming any type of healthy fat.
Carb counts for 1 oz. of nuts and seeds :
- Almonds: 3 g net carbs
- Brazil nuts: 1 g net carbs
- Cashews: 8 g net carbs
- Macadamia nuts: 2 g net carbs
- Pecans: 1 g net carbs
- Pistachios: 5 g net carbs
- Walnuts: 2 g net carbs
- Chia seeds: 2 g net carbs
- Flaxseeds: 0 g net carbs
- Pumpkin seeds: 2 g net carbs
- Sesame seeds: 4 g net carbs
Also Check: Printable List Of Good Carbs For Diabetics
Healthy Diabetic Diet Food List
Even though being on a diabetic diet limits you to certain food types, you can still have the best tasting, and nutritious meals with what you choose.
All you need to do is establish a detailed plan of delectable, balanced, and nutritious foods for your daily diet. It will assist you to stay on track and supporting your overall wellbeing.